Monday, June 24, 2013

The First Run Is Always The Hardest

This weekend, I decided I should just go for it and hit the pavement. As I mentioned in Thursday's post, I wanted to start this week getting prepared for my half marathon training, though my official training start date is July 1st - 16 weeks out.

Even though I'm in the gym regularly on the elliptical or treadmill, this was just so different. Here's how I did:


Yeah, crappy.

I had only planned on running about two miles anyway, but still, I just did not feel in good running shape at all...plus I was not in A/C like at the gym...it was very hot and humid {thank you, SC}. I am so far from where I was just six or so months ago when I was training for the half marathon I didn't end up doing. I know I'll get back, but man, what a hit to the ego this was. I'm not going to let it discourage me though...I know I will improve with time and that is what training is for. I've never been much of a "runner" - it's a totally different kind of fitness for me. Put me in a dance studio and I could go for hours, but when I run, sometimes I feel like I might die. I'd like to be someone who runs regularly - if I could run a consistent 20 miles a week, I'd be satisfied.

I also think a those running results had a lot to do with the fact that a) I went out the night before and had a few drinks with friends, b) I didn't drink as much water  that day as I should have and c) my body was not properly fueled with the right foods.

Anyway, I know I've got a long road ahead of me {pun totally intended - hehe}. It's more of a mental challenge than anything. I know the endurance will come, but it's the mental battle that I have the hardest time breaking through. I have to find ways to not get bored - gorgeous scenery, great music, etc.

My plans this week and going forward are to:

a. Drink 8-10 glasses of water per day and cut back on alcoholic beverages during training.
b. Be a bit more strict on my diet - only consume what will fuel my body and cut out unnecessary calories.
c. Plan out my run times so I can know what to expect and thus keep up with my running schedule easier.
d. Stay motivated and not get discouraged!

I'm using Map My Run to plan my routes and RunKeeper to track my stats for each of my runs. If you're new to running, training for anything, or just looking for some good fitness apps, I highly recommend these.






signature - gym bunny photo signatureforposts.jpg

No comments: